Is it time for Europe to play a broader role in Asia?
Be part of a discussion that will provide:
- an informed assessment of the current state of relations.
- a comparative examination of ASEAN and EU regionalism.
- insights into the shared challenges of multiculturalism and extremism.
- an evaluation of needs and opportunities for re-invigorating the Asia-Europe relationship.
AEI has brought together an exceptional range of speakers from both Asia and Europe:
- Prof Jens Allwood - Head of SCCIIL (SSKKII) Interdisciplinary Center, University of Gothenburg, Sweden
- Prof Sebastian Bersick - Jean-Monnet Chair & Chair, International Political Economy of East Asia, Ruhr-Universität Bochum, Department of East Asian Studies, Germany
- Mr Sholto Byrnes - Senior Fellow, Institute of Strategic & International Studies (ISIS) Malaysia
- Dr David Camroux - Senior Researcher, Centre de Recherchés Internationales, Science Po, Paris
- Prof Thomas Christiansen - Jean-Monnet Chair, Maastricht University, the Netherlands
- H.E. Maria Castillo Fernandez - Ambassador & Head of the European Union Delegation to Malaysia
- H.E. Francisco Fontan Pardo - Ambassador of the European Union (EU) to ASEAN
- Dr Evi Fitriani - Head of the Miriam Budiardjo Resource Centre (MBRG), Faculty of Social and Political Sciences, University of Indonesia
- Dr Paul Gillespie - Former Foreign Policy Editor for The Irish Times and Adjunct Senior Research Fellow UCD School of Politics and International Relations (SPIRe), University College Dublin, Ireland
- Prof Azirah Hashim - Executive Director, Asia-Europe Institute & Director, Centre for ASEAN Regionalism University of Malaya
- Tan Sri Dato' Seri Mohamed Jawhar Hassan - Former Chairman and Chief Executive Officer, Institute of Strategic & International Studies (ISIS) Malaysia
- Tan Sri Razali Ismail - Senior Advisor, Asia-Europe Institute, Malaysia
- Prof Christian Joppke - Institute of Sociology, University of Bern, Switzerland
- Prof Kim Nam-Kook - Jean-Monnet Chair & Professor in the Department of Political Science and International Relations at Korea University, Seoul
- Assoc Prof Kuik Cheng Chwee - Strategic Studies and International Relations Program, Faculty of Social Sciences and Humanities, Universiti Kebangsaan Malaysia (UKM)
- Dato' M. Redzuan Kushairi - Senior Advisor, Asia-Europe Institute, Malaysia
- Prof Jacqueline Lo - Professor and Executive Director of the ANU Centre for European Studies, Australian National University, Canberra
- Prof Kishore Mahbubani - Dean, and Professor in the Practice of Public Policy, at the Lee Kuan Yew School of Public Policy, National University of Singapore
- Prof Anthony Milner - Visiting Professor, Asia-Europe Institute, Malaysia
- H.E. Makio Miyagawa - Ambassador of Japan to Malaysia
- Prof Tamio Nakamura - Faculty of Law, Waseda University, Japan
- Dr Marty Natalegawa - Former Foreign Minister of Indonesia
- Dr Roy Anthony Rogers - Department of International and Strategic Studies (JPAS), University of Malaya
- Prof Tham Siew Yean - Adjunct Professor, Institute of Malaysian and International Studies, Universiti Kebangsaan Malaysia (UKM)
- Prof Park Sung-Hoon - Professor in Economics & Jean-Monnet Chair, Korea University, Seoul
- H.E. Dr Surin Pitsuwan - Former Foreign Minister of Thailand and former ASEAN Secretary-General
- Prof Datuk Shamsul Amri Baharuddin - Director, Institute of Ethnic Studies (KITA), Universiti Kebangsaan Malaysia (UKM)
- H.E. Karsten Warnecke - Ambassador, Executive Director, Asia-Europe Foundation (ASEF), Singapore
- Dr Yeo Lay Hwee - Director, EU Centre in Singapore
- Prof Zha Daojiong - Professor of International Political Economy at the School of International Studies, Peking University, China
- H.E. Raja Nushirwan Zainal Abidin - Deputy Secretary General, Department of Bilateral Affairs, Ministry of Foreign Affairs Malaysia
The conference will include:
- Four keynotes, with commentary on themes of inter-regional cooperation and closer Asia-Europe engagement.
- Panel discussions on comparative regionalism, soft-power, multiculturalism and economic regionalism.
* Conference fees are to be banked in or payed cash upon registration. Bank transfer receipt has to be emailed to email@example.com for proof of payment.
Payment must be made to: BURSAR UNIVERSITY OF MALAYA
Bank: CIMB Bank Malaysia
Account No: 800 127 9998
Reference: AEI AEC 2017
Swift Code: CIBBMYKL
Bank Address: University of Malaya Branch, University of Malaya, Lembah Pantai, 50603 Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.
Download poster in PDF (2.36MB)
Date: 3 & 4 August 2017
Venue: Auditorium, Asia-Europe Institute (AEI), University of Malaya, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.
3rd August 2017, 9am
(keynotes & panels):
RM420 per person*
*Student rate: RM210
* Fee waiver is available for public universities' researchers and students.
Timotheus J. Krahl
Tel: 03-7967 6915
Fax: 03-7954 0799