Azirah Hashim is a Professor in the English Language Department, Faculty of Languages and Linguistics and currently, Executive Director of the Asia-Europe Institute (AEI), Universiti Malaya. Prior to this, she was Director of the Centre for ASEAN Regionalism (2015-2018), Dean of the Humanities Research Cluster (2010-2015) and Dean and Deputy Dean of the Faculty of Languages and Linguistics (2003-2009, 1996-2002). Her recent and current roles include Coordinator of the Asia-Africa Development University Network (AADUN), Coordinator of the Asia Pacific Higher Education Research Partnership Network and Chairperson of the Research Ethics (non-medical) committee at the university.
Her research interests include Language Contact in the Region, English as a Lingua Franca in ASEAN, Language and Law, Higher education in ASEAN and Academic and Professional Discourse and some of her publications include Communicating with Asia: the Future of English as a Global Language, Cambridge University Press edited with Gerhard Leitner and Hans-Georg Wolf and articles in journals such as English Today, Discourse Studies and Multilingua. She has also supervised to completion and is currently supervising several PhD and Masters students.
In 2017, she was appointed Vice-President of the International Association of Applied Linguistics (AILA) and is Founding President of the Malaysian Association of Applied Linguistics, an affiliate of the International Association of Applied Linguistics. In addition, she sits on the executive committee of the Asia Pacific Languages for Specific Purposes and Professional Communication Association and is a former executive committee member of the International Association of Forensic Linguists. She was on the MyExpert committee at the Ministry of Education involved in capacity building in higher education projects of CLMV and has continued with the work as project leader of an Erasmus+ Capacity Building in Higher Education 'Building research capacity in Malaysia and Laos' (2017-2020). Currently heading the Jean Monnet Centre of Excellence (2017-2020) , she is very much involved in ASEAN-EU research, teaching, seminars and outreach activities.
In 2009, she was awarded the Georg Forster Research Fellowship for Experienced Researchers, Alexander von Humboldt Foundation, Germany and is a Fellow of the Foundation. Recent and previous projects include a Swedish Link project on Public Understanding of Expert Views on Health Risks, an AKEPT project on Leadership in Higher Institutions in ASEAN, Language Contact in Southeast Asia and Professional Discourse. She is on the editorial board of English Today, Journal of Sociolinguistic Studies, Journal of Intercultural Communication (Nordic Network) as well as the Asian Journal of English Language Studies and is a reviewer for several journals. Courses and workshops she conducts include academic writing, genre and discourse analysis, applied linguistics, World Englishes, English for Specific Purposes, general linguistics and research ethics. She is also an external examiner and assessor for several universities.
Selected Books by Professor Dr. Azirah Hashim
International Arbitration Discourse and Practices in Asia
edited with Vijay K. Bhatia, Maurizio Gotti, Philip Koh & Sundra Rajoo
African-Asian Encounters: New Cooperations and New Dependencies
edited with Arndt Graf
Communicating with Asia: The Future of English as a Global Language
edited with Gerhard Leitner & Hans-Georg Wolf
English in Southeast Asia: Features, Policy and Language in Use
edited with Ee-Ling Low
Text, Discourse and Society: Functional and Pragmatic Approaches to Language in Use
edited with Maya Khemlani David & James McLellan
English in Southeast Asia: Varieties, Literacies and Literatures
edited with David Prescott, Andy Kirkpatrick & Martin Isabel
English in Southeast Asia: Prospects, Perspectives and Possibilities
edited with Norizah Hassan
Varieties of English in Southeast Asia and Beyond
edited with Norizah Hassan
How to Write a Thesis: The Thesis Writing Journey From Start to Finish
- Azirah Hashim and Anthony Milner (Eds.). (2019). Malaysian Perspectives on ASEAN Regionalism. KL: UM Press.
- Bhatia, V., Gotti, M. Azirah Hashim et.al. (2018). International Arbitration Discourse and Practices in Asia. London, Routledge.
- Arndt Graf and Azirah Hashim (eds.) (2017). African and Asian Encounters: New Cooperations and New Dependencies. International Institute of Asian Studies, Leiden.
- Leitner, G. Azirah Hashim and Wolf, HG. (2016). Communicating with Asia: introduction. In Communicating with Asia: the Future of English as a Global Language. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press. pp. 1-10.
- Azirah Hashim and Leitner, G. (2016). English in Language Education Policy and Planning in Malaysia. In Asmah Haji Omar (ed.) Monolingual Strands in Multilingual Settings. Singapore: Routledge. 2016.
- Azirah Hashim and Leitner, G. (2016). Arabic loans in English in Malaysia. Leitner, G, Azirah Hashim & Wolf, HG (eds.) Communicating with Asia. Cambridge: CUP.
- Azirah Hashim, Jagdish Kaur and Tan Siew Kuang. (2016). Idemtity Regionalism and English as a lingua franca, Journal of English as a Lingua Franca, 5 (2). (Non-ISI/Non-SCOPUS)
- Azirah Hashim, Leitner, G and Mohd Al-Aqad. (2016). Arabic in contact with English in Asia: linguistic, social and political influences of Arabic in the region, English Today. (ISI-Indexed)
- Jason Miin-Hwa Lim, Chek-Kim Loi, Azirah Hashim, May Siaw-Mei Li. (2015). Purpose statements in experimental doctoral dissertations submitted to U.S. universities: An inquiry into doctoral students' communicative resources in language education. Journal of English for Academic Purposes 20, 69-89 (ISI/SCOPUS Indexed Publication)
- Azirah Hashim. 2014. English and the linguistic ecology of Malaysia. World Englishes. Vol.33, No 4. (ISI/SCOPUS Indexed Publication)
- Azirah Hashim, Yee, CL and Pheak Tra Peak. (2014). English in higher education in Cambodia. World Englishes. Vol 33, No 4. (ISI/SCOPUS Indexed Publication)
- Lim, BS, Azirah Hashim and Buttny, R. (2014). Accounts of Religio-cultural Identity in Singapore and Malaysia. International Journal of the Sociology of Language 229: 9-28. (SCOPUS-Indexed)
- Azirah Hashim and Gerhard Leitner. (2014). English as a Lingua Franca in Higher Education in Malaysia. Asian Journal of Applied Linguistics. 1 (1). pp16-27. (Non-ISI/Non-SCOPUS)
- Graves, H., Shahin Moghaddasi and Azirah Hashim. (2014). "Let G= ( V, E) be a graph": Turning the Abstract into the Tangible in Introductions in Mathematics Research Articles. English for Specific Purposes. (ISI/SCOPUS Indexed Publication)
- Pairote Bennui and Azirah Hashim. (2014). English in Thailand: development of English in a non-postcolonial context. Asian Englishes. DOI: 10.1080/13488678.2014.939810. pp1-20. (Non-ISI/Non-SCOPUS)
- Buttny, R. and Azirah Hashim. (2014). Dialogue on 1 Malaysia : The Uses of Metadiscourse in Ethnopolitical Accounting. Discourse and Society 26 (3). (ISI-Indexed)
- Buttny, R., Azirah Hashim and Kaur, K. (2013). Ethnopolitical discourse among ordinary Malaysians: diverging accounts of "the good old days" in discussing multiculturalism. Text and Talk, 33(3), 289-309. (ISI-Indexed)